Lockout tag out is a procedure that ensures that devices are off and securely de-energized to avoid any unpredicted startup during service function and maintenance. Usually, Lock tagout equipment is put in place to help keep energy isolation devices away from. This procedure is very safe because no one can remove the lockout tools without a key or additional unlocking means such as making use of bolt cutters. On the other hand, label out equipment cannot offer safety by itself, unless it is used hand in hand with lock equipment and lockout documentation.
The two main items for a lockout tag away procedure are a lock plus a tag. The lock is usually connected to the power source to prevent it from being started up. The tag is a warning sign or words of extreme care, attached to the lockout products to caution people from switching on, plugging within, or tampering with the machine.
The lockout tag out equipment helps prevent employees from being victims of fatal accidents and injuries while working. It also helps prevent the unintended launch of hazardous energy and the sudden unintended start associated with machines. This equipment assists with plumbing systems, machinery, and electric equipment.
What Are The Characteristics Of the Good Lockout Tag Out Equipment?
Many accidents can be avoided by using the right lockout label out procedures and using high-quality lockout tag out devices. The equipment must have the following characteristics:
- Label out equipment should be strong and long-lasting. They shouldn’t be affected even when they come into contact with corrosive chemicals like acids or damp substances.
- Tags must be unique in colour, size, shape, format, and print. Tags are supposed to end up being visible and understandable offering clear instructions such as ‘Do Not Open’, ‘Out of Service’ ‘Do Not Operate’, or ‘Danger’.
- Locks should be very limited and reliable to avoid any kind of premature removal. They should only be removable by exerting force and by using special metal cutting tools or even bolt cutters.
- Tags are attached having an one-piece nylon cable tie up because they are strong and able to survive in any environment. A great tag attachment has fifty pounds unlocking strength and should be non-reusable.
- Your lockout tag away equipment should have the name of the authorized personnel who is handling the device.
- Lockout label out equipment must be offered by the employer to ensure that they are special and of good quality.
E xamples of Lockout Label out Equipment
Some examples of lockout tagout equipment are:
- Padlock devices — These are physically put on the electric system making it hard to entry. The padlock should be the right size, secure and distinguishable from other padlocks. Add a visible warning sign such as ‘Warning’ or ‘Danger’ and the name from the person who put the padlock.
- Clamp-on breaker gadgets are red, and they make sure that power can’t be refurbished
- Hasp — gives liberty for more compared to one worker to put their particular padlocks on an energy device if more than one worker is definitely working on the machine.
- Valve lockouts — these are made to prevent the opening of fluid or gas valves during repair and maintenance